Saturday, August 01, 2009

Hanging with Big Kev

On Tuesday, I had the pleasure of joining Kevin Vanhoozer for lunch. I watched him do a video with Zondervan which included him playing the piano; a truly remarkable man. Back in my Ph.D studies Vanhoozer's Is There a Meaning in This Text? was my sword and shield when I was getting grilled like a cheese burger about methodology in my doctoral presentations. We share a friendship with Bob Gundry who is Vanhoozer's mentor (I got to have coffee with Gundry last year at SBL in Boston). Vanhoozer is also writing a paper on "Wrighting the Wrongs of the Reformation" for a conference in Wheaton next April.

4 comments:

steve said...

did Vanhoozer mention anything about when he plans to begin writing his multi-volume Systematic Theology?

In a world where Systematic guys hurl stones at Biblical Studies guys (and vice versa), Vanhoozer is my only hope right now...

Tyler Wittman said...

Steve,

Only hope?? I'm a big Vanhoozer fan (his books probably kept me from falling into liberalism), but he's not Obi-Wan. There are other dudes out there.

At the same time, I haven't heard of a multi-volume theology at work from his pen. I know he's got two books coming up, but neither of them are anything like this. Where did you hear about that?

-T

steve said...

yeah Tyler I would agree, he's not Obi-Wan, probably something more like Yoda =) I do realize there are "other guys" out there, but none of whom I think will be able to get done what Vanhoozer can. He is the only American Evangelical I know that has the respect of people on both sides of the fence, and from what I can tell, most are listening closely to him.

As for an answer to your question, Vanhoozer mentions that his previous work is, "...but a tilling of the ground..." (http://exiledpreacher.blogspot.com/2007/09/kevin-vanhoozer-interview.html). I have yet to hear anymore about this project and was hoping Bird might have some word on it...

Mick Porter said...

Did you explain to him your concept of "Theo-Drama"?