Sunday, February 11, 2007

2 Peter and Jude - Interviews with Leading Scholars

In my research and teaching, I have tended to focus on Jesus, the Synoptic Gospels, and Paul. That leaves a bit of a gap when it comes to the Catholic Epistles. I find that many of my students have a reasonable grasp of the Gospels and Paul, but the Catholic letters remain an obscure and distant body of writings - kind of like an old Aunt that you know you should visit cause she's filthy rich, but have never got around to seeing her. In sermons, Bible studies, and lectures, James usually gets some good air time, but not as much as Paul. To try stimulate interest in these letters and to get people up to date on what scholars are saying about them, I am in the process of collecting some "virtual interviews" with several scholars who have written or are currently writing commentaries on 2 Peter and Jude. So far there is:

Peter Davids
Bob Webb
Thomas R. Schreiner

I hope to have more to follow. I also intend on picking scholars who have a variety of approaches to the question of the authorship of 2 Peter.

No comments: